Sunday, April 27, 2008

Theories and Such

So about six months ago I had this GENIUS idea for a site called "Quid Pro Quo"
The user would make a list of what he would want (creatively called the 'want' list) and a list of what he had (called the 'have' list). Then people could view his want/have list and offer trades using the items on their want/have list. Like Craig's list, but without the prostitution.
Wouldn't you know that some imbecile made the site before I could find the time to code it. Damn.
I am now under the belief that a muse visited me in my sleep and implanted the idea in my head. When I opted for laziness, she went somewhere else.
Therefore, I am going to post all the odd theories I've had up here, time-stamped by blogger, so that I can say I thought of it first. So there.
One: I had an idea for a notecards program where instead of the normal split up style, you'd just input a whole pile of cards (essentially), and basically organize them into each pile. You could have stacks mode, sequence mode, and my personal favorite, desk mode, where you get them in a pile in the middle and basically throw them where you want. You could put more than one copy of a card in multiple stacks and (unlike many notecard programs I've seen) the cards would be all in one singe file, each tagged by keyword, so you wouldn't have to open multiple files to access all the cards you wanted. Call me crazy, someone is going to make this and it will be HUGE.
Two: I was thinking about how not all of Neptune's speed is accounted for, and how the Pioneer probes are moving oddly slow. So I had an idea (which is probably wrong) regarding the "density" of space-time. What if, and I'm probably wrong here, that gravity has a more pronounced effect in certain areas than others. I.E. G is not constant, but varies. Eh. To use the rubber sheet example, some parts of the sheet are made of rubber, and other parts are made of nylon.
Three:I have more links.
Very cool article on WIRED regarding a Polish Computer Scientist who has made a way for you to never forget anything. Companies have tried to make a method of learning a language without memorization (Rosetta Stone), and have been only marginally successful. This guy's program helps you with the memorization so that you can effectively become proficient in anything you are trying to learn.
This blog takes various weeks from the Guardian and attempts to represent them visually. Its a very cool way to revitalize how we produce and consume media.
Via the creators of LASER Tag, The Graffiti Research labs, I found a site called Instructables. It shows you how to make some of the coolest stuff i have ever seen, including the Electric Umbrella and LED Throwies. I really like the Electric umbrella, because what mixes better than electricity and water?
Finally, a site called Muxtape. If you can figure out the redeeming quality of this site, please tell me.

Wasn't that worth the wait?
Gen. Danvs

No comments: